Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Viva Cuba!



I have family everywhere and in every country it seems. A couple of years ago, my family had the privilege to meet the best Cuban family in the world. They came as refugees to this country without anything only clothes and pictures of a hard life they left behind. Since that faithful day they have bettered their lives and giving back to those less fortunate. Such a loving and beautiful family I feel eternally grateful to know them.

Every visit I make with my mom to their home is such a treat. Not only for our hearts but for our stomachs. As soon as we sit down at the table my Cuban grandma Yaya sets down plate after delicious plate of authentic Cuban food. Made with all the love and skill that little Yaya can muster. She's absolutely adorable, you seriously want to put her in your pocket. Yayo(Cuban grandpa) is so cute and adorable you just want to pinch his widdle cheeks and hold his hand forever.

The other day mom and I went. Yaya started us off with a nice espresso Cubano. We sip sipped away until the dishes showed up. On the menu: pork stew, chicken and potatoes, fried plantain chips, black beans, rice, and torrejas for dessert. The torrejas are like a french toast except fried a little longer topped with simple sugar syrup. In Costa Rica they use a sugar cane syrup. I love Yaya's torrejas. They are so rich but delicious. We ate and ate and ate, until we were stuffed. Yaya wondered why I didn't eat more. I said I was satisfied and don't eat as much as I did. Trying to be healthy and not eat too much. She turned to my mom and said, she didn't like it. I laughed and tried to convince her that everything was delicious but I wanted to watch my weight and be healthy. Finally after much pleading and playful arguing she accepted my decline...still looking at me unconvinced that I was telling her the truth. Next time I will go with an empty stomach and eat my brains out, just so I won't hurt Yaya's feelings.

I heart this family so much. They treat us like family. Lots of love and tremendous affection we share. They will be spending their holiday in Cuba with their family. I hope they have a safe trip filled with good food and good times. Happy holidays!


No comments:

Post a Comment