Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas food 2009 part 1



It's true. I love singing Christmas songs. The only place were I feel it is acceptable, is at Camp Steven's. My friend Jenne's(frequently mentioned and one of two of my subscribers, and of course best friend) parents, Vicki and Peter, help run Camp Steven's. Every Christmas they have a delightful caroling party at their home on the camp. The home is filled with friends and family, delicious food and colorful Christmas decorations. A warm feeling of home and love. After much noshing and nibbling we gather around the piano and are guided to sing our little hearts out. Truly so filled with Christmas spirit and love for those around you. A booklet of Christmas songs and holiday cheer, you feel like that kid again doing one of those recitals we are all familiar with. You become an 8yr-old spontaneously who just wants to sing and dance and show your stuff. Not something that's part of my Christmas tradition but very much welcomed and needed.

The Spread:

Artichoke dip made by Jenne. Creamy and delicious. The meats and cheeses: Ham, turkey, smoked salmon, blue cheese, aged jack, and brie...A slight hint to make your own sandwiches. Homemade goat cheese...yes, homemade. There was a mashed potato bar/buffet. Basically build your own mashed potato mound. Your options of toppings are: Bacon, cheese, sour cream, gravy, and other things I can't seem to remember...but they were excellent choices to put on your mashed up goodness I'm sure. Which if you are like me and love mashed potatoes as much as I do and would have them as a dessert...this idea is absolutely genius! Lots of beer and wine and libations galore. My favorite thing that was there on the table, surpassing the mashed potatoes...Pecan Dreams! YES! The Pecan Dreams are also known as Snowballs or Russian tea cakes. These are my favorite cookies EVER. Bite size buttery crisp-ness with pieces of pecan, formed into a little ball, and dipped in powder sugar so you can just toss it into your mouth. SO good!! Makes you want to smack yo' momma..."Momma!".

The next day we woke up and made breakfast. When I say "we", I mean everyone else except me. I didn't do anything which I feel bad about. BUT, I truly appreciate everyone who stepped up and made breakfast happen. The waffles, eggs, and potatoes were amazing and you guys(Steven, Tracie, Kaitlyn, Jenne and Howie) rocked. Special thanks to all that made this adventure in Julian happen. Howie for the ride. Peter and Vicki for their beautiful home and hospitality. Jenne for her ability to put up with all our craziness. Also, Peter and Vicki, thanks for showing me the trip to Tanzania you captured. Looks like you guys had a blast! I learned that lions during mating season, mate every 7-15 minutes. That is a lot of hoochie coochie as my mom would say. Goodtimes:)


No comments:

Post a Comment