Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Hooked on a Vegan



This post is about the great vegan revelation I have stumbled upon. Now, in the past I have tasted some veggie/vegan options and haven't been that impressed. It always left me wanting more and never swayed me to change my carnivore habits. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves. I am not turning vegetarian or vegan...but/however, I am dating one and that is one step that I wouldn't have considered before. Lesbihonest. So, yes I am dating a vegan with vegetarian tendencies. (That cheese is just too damn good. Sorry I outed you sweetie.) Thus, I have embarked on the vegetarian/vegan train! Choo choo!

As I stated before, I have tried vegetarian and vegan food before said relationship. But only until now have I openly searched for veggie/vegan options to strike my hunger upon the first pitch my stomach throws my brain(or is it the other way around). Usually it was the very last thing on my mind, or after a very unhealthy binge of very unhealthy food consumption. Lucky for me, San Diego(or I should say SoCal) has picked up extreme healthy eating like a bad habit. There are a number of restaurants that are fully vegan/veggie/raw/organic or incorporate at least some dishes, aaaaaaand are actually good! Holy crap! Who would have thought?

Now, there are a number of reasons that I will now opt for veggie and vegan food, other than the love interest. One of them being that, I can't eat shitty food like I use to. Sad but true. Fried food, fatty food kills my stomach. But also for me, dairy and eggs kill my stomach too. Needless to say, breakfast food is always a pain. Laden with eggs and dairy I always opt for the veggie/vegan dish since those people(respectively) do not eat said things. Making me very happy! Let's face it, eating a huge plate of bacon, sausage, and potatoes isn't really healthy...although delicious, I have to eat that stuff few and far between. On special occasions like vacations or birthdays!(All birthdays, not just my own)

So, my special lady and I have cooked some amazing vegan food together. Only two plates thus far but BOY were they amazing and simple.

The first dish happened when I was invited to my friend Tracie's birthday party extravaganza the other day. She wanted veggie/healthy food choices for the potluck. So me and my lady decided we would make vegan Spring Rolls. We bought rice noodles, mint, spring roll wraps, cilantro(cualantro if you're Costa Rican), red bell peppers, tofu and a nice peanut sauce for dipping. Now the trick to wrapping the Spring Rolls is just show 'em who's boss. Corral the ingredients. Lay the bell peppers first, then the rice noodles, then the tofu and top it off with a few leaves of mint and cilantro. Then you wrap 'em up nice and tight and tuck 'em in like a baby. We warmed up the tofu with some soy sauce(and maybe some other things...I didn't do that part). Mmmmm, delicious and it looks like you did a lot of work.

Second dish! Me and my lady wanted to spend a nice evening in.
Movie: Finding Nemo.
Food:Stir Fry tofu style.
So we got baby bok choy, baby broccoli, bell pepper, snow peas, mushrooms, tofu, soyaki, and brown rice. Basically, we chopped onions, ginger, and garlic threw it in a pan with some olive oil. Let cook for a bit. Added the tofu that was marinating in some soy sauce. Then we added all the veggies. Now, the next time we do it definitely we need to add the veggies that cook the fastest last and the ones that cook the longest first. Slight problem but ultimately it did not ruin the dish. After it cooked we plated and ate like champions. It was very delicious! We added a little heat to it too. You give me rice and soy sauce and I am a happy person!

Seriously can't wait to cook some more dishes! Try new foods! And dance with my lady in the kitchen...some more:)

No comments:

Post a Comment